Friday, February 24, 2012

A Final Farewell



It's been an emotional time these past ten days.  

Mourning the loss of Donna.  

The tears.

The questions.  

The memories.

Having thoughts of Donna pop up in my head while performing the most mundane tasks of the day and the tears would well.  

Wondering how her pillar of strength husband is going to deal with life with his two teenage daughters without her.  

Thank God for good friends.  

We all leaned on each other the days of her visitation and funeral.  
Crying and reminiscing.  

Those two days showed the love so many had for Donna.  Hundreds . . . literally hundreds . . . came out for her visitation.  Hubby and I waited in an almost two-hour long line just to pay our respects to her family.  

The funeral service was lovely.  The church was packed as if it were Easter Sunday.  Father gave a  wonderful service in her honor, and her Aunt eulogized her beautifully.  I don't know how she kept her composure. 

There were Irish step dancers flanking the procession as it exited the church.  A bagpipe player droned out Amazing Grace at the burial site.  Afterwards, several hundred were invited to a reception hall where we all shared a meal and visited with one other and reminisced some more.

Last night, Donna's sister-in-law, Donna, invited a small group of us girls to her home for dinner where we toasted, talked, laughed and cried a bit more remembering our dear friend.  

It's still a strange thought that I'll never see my friend on this Earth again.  
It's a sadness that's hard to shake.

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse painting by artist/author Roger Bansemer used in the book, Bansemer's book of Carolina & Georgia Lighthouses

In Loving Memory of
Donna B. Jubb
May 5, 1966 – February 14, 2012
If I should ever leave you, whom I love,
to go along the silent way, grieve not,
nor speak of me as if I were beside you
there.  (I’d come, I’d come, could I but
  find a way!  But would not tears and
grief be barriers?) and when you hear
a song or see a bird I loved, please do
not let the thought of me be sad . . .
for I am loving you just as I always
have . . . you were so good to me!
There are so many things I wanted still
to do . . . so many things to say to you . . .
Remember that I did not fear . . . it was
just leaving you that was so hard to face.
We cannot see beyond, but this I know:
I loved you so. ‘Twas Heaven here with you!




I want to thank all the sweet, heartfelt comments I received on my last post.  I appreciate each and everyone of them.  It's comforting to know people I've never even met are sending good wishes and prayers in such a sad time. Thank you all so much.


Thanks for visiting!
Leave a comment so I can get to know you.

3 comments:

Jillayne said...

Your words in this post are so lovely - I think it's very true that leaving our loved ones would be the only difficulty.
I think it's also true that there is comfort in memory when it's attached to the things the person loved - sorrow at first maybe, but later we are grateful for the "visual aid" that calls their memory to us again.

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

This made me cry as I remember a couple of years ago when I lost a dear friend. It really shakes you to your core when unexpectedly, someone so young, close to your own age, and with a husband and kids left behind passes before their time. I am glad you had some girl time to reminisce and remember her. Again, I am so sorry Carla and I send a big hug to you.

Kerin said...

Oh Carla...
my heart goes out to you and to all those who loved and lost someone so dear.
I am so sorry.
Sending you hugs and prayers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails