Wednesday, November 3, 2010

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP

The air is crisp, the leaves are turning . . . 
It's the perfect weather for soup.  
I love soup.  
I could eat it almost every night.  I'm not sure my family are big soup fans.  I think it's psychological to them that an entire meal must be spread out all over a plate, not neatly combined in a single bowl.

Picture from "Back To The Cutting Board"

Anyway, it was chilly the other day, and I was in a soup mood.  But really wanting something different and quick, I found a great recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup at one of my favorite online recipe sites, All Recipes.  I'm sharing it because, not only was it totally delish, but it was quick and easy and everything was already in my pantry.  I like last minute meals like that - you know, when I actually have everything on hand that I need!

I should have taken pics of my own creation, but, as mentioned above, I was in a hurry to get dinner on the table, and just didn't take the time to grab the camera.  I did, however, find a few pics on the net that very much resembled my yummy finished product.

Picture from "Food Nework"

I'm sure if you try it, you will not at all be disappointed in this recipe's ease and tastiness.  And hopefully you're family will enjoy it as well!

The Ingredients:

1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes (I used tomato sauce)
1 (10.5 oz) can condensed chicken broth (I used boxed chicken stock)
1-1/4 cups water (I omitted the water, but used extra chicken stock)
1 cup whole corn (I used frozen)
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 fresh chopped cilantro
2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into bite sized pieces
crushed tortilla chips (I used tortilla chip strips)
sliced avocado
shredded Jack Cheese
chopped green onions

The Directions:

  1. In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat.  Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft.  Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth and water.  Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes
  2. Sir in corn, chilies, beans, cilantro and chicken.  Simmer for 10 minutes.
  3. Ladle soup into bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips, or strips, avocado slices, cheese and chopped green onion.  
I also added a dollop of cream cheese and squeezed some fresh lime over the soup.


Picture from "Shine from Yahoo"

See!  
Quick and easy and good!  
This will definitely be a repeat performer in my kitchen!



Thanks for visiting! 
Leave a comment so I can get to know you.

6 comments:

marie said...

I love soup too ~ and I'm definitely going to try this one. Chicken Tortilla soup is my father-in-law's favorite and I think it's always good to score some points!!

Thaks for sharing the recipe!!

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

I love soup and this one looks really good. And tomorrow it's supposed to be cold and rainy. So, I might be making a pot of this tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe!

Kerin said...

Boy, that sure looks yummy!
It is perfect weather for soups, stews, and for chili!
This is a yummy looking recipe. I'll certainly give it a try :)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love chicken tortilla soup and that may be the same recipe.

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Ooo, I've always wanted a good recipe for this soup. Thanks so much, Carla!
Mary Lou

Pedro Echeveerriav said...

This was a lovely bloog post

Related Posts with Thumbnails