Wednesday, September 23, 2009

How can I choose??!!!


Well, here's my first decorating dilemma. Not sure if it's really a dilemma, but it's something that I find myself fretting about a bit from time-to-time. From what I understand (what little I understand, I should say), the rooms in one's home should have certain cohesiveness about them. An easy flow from room to room, uniting the rooms with color and style.

Please note that non of the following pictures are of any rooms in my home. I "borrowed" them from BH&G and Pottery Barn.




My major decorating conundrum is I love too many different styles of decor. Traditional, Modern Country, Cottage Style, Shabby Chic, Primitive, even a little Contemporary thrown in here and there. I think overall I'm most drawn to a relaxed Traditional style, but I get all messed up when it comes to color. I love the warm relaxing hues of earth tones and neutrals, but I can really get into the bright and fun oranges and greens that are so popular now. And I can so see myself sinking into a soft, oversized, comfy white slip-covered chair with lots of vintage pillows sipping a cup of tea from a dainty little flea market find porcelain cup (even though I prefer my morning coffee in a big honkin' mug!). But I also like the "safeness" of my brown leather family room furniture - especially since my family seems to think the kitchen table and chairs are just there to hold down the rug while simultaneously supporting my beautiful centerpieces, and constantly insist on eating in the family room.




Since I really like so many different styles, is it okay to decorate the rooms in my home differently? For instance, my living room is much on the "shabby-country-with-color" side, while the family room is more darker, traditional mix.






And I like lots of "stuff". I like having lots of collections, mementos . . . brick-a-brack, chachkees, stuff. I am so far from a minimalist as one can get, I think. My hubby calls it clutter, I call it my pretties!






So, as you can see from the snaps I've chosen, I think I have kind of a diversified taste. I do think there is some commonality to what I like, which is a relaxed style. I just can't pinpoint exactly what I want, or what I think I really like. I'm hoping some of you out there may have suggestions on how to choose, or maybe what I'm doing is okay. I guess in a future post I should share some pics of my rooms to get your opinions.







4 comments:

Terry said...

Oh my gosh - I believe I have the same problem! You have picked the most beautiful pictures - thanks for getting me all confused! :)

LOVE YOUR BLOG!

Anonymous said...

I am so in the same boat. I'm more of a contemporary pottery barn style and although I think I did a good job on the few rooms I've "finished", I have to admit, when I'm in your house, I love all the little treasures and how warm it feels. I can't seem to get that here so when you get yourself figured out, I could use some help!
luv the blog

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Hey Lil' D!!! Thanks so much for reading and commenting. Your place always looks cute. It's been forever since I've been to your house. Can't wait to see the changes. I love PB, too! Wish I could afford to shop there all the time.

Hope to see you soon!

The Feathered Nest said...

I love it ALL Carla!!! I've decided that this is called "gathered style" and my philosophy is not "less is more" but mine is more like "MORE IS MORE!"....gorgeous pics! xxoo, Dawn

Related Posts with Thumbnails